Tuesday, August 31, 2010

No Naked Numbers

As a math teacher, I’m always harping about labeling numbers with their correct units of measure. Some years I emphasize it more than others, depending on my stamina to stay on top of it, and how well prepared the students come to me. Sometimes completing assignments in of itself is a huge accomplishment; you have to pick your battles.

This past summer I was rejuvenated when I heard Sandy use the phrase “no naked numbers allowed”. What a unique way of approaching units of measure!

As we tackled word problems in my Pre-Algebra classes yesterday, I took the opportunity to discuss how to properly clothe naked numbers. As soon as the young teenagers heard the word naked, I immediately had their attention. I realized I was treading on thin ice. Luckily my students kept our lesson rated G. There were some snickers and a comment about “how gorgeous the numbers look,” but that was the extent of the students’ remarks. What they were privately thinking in their minds, I can only guess. Let’s not go there. The important thing is that students were engaged and attentive. What more could I ask?

1 comment:

Brandy King said...

I love that! I have used "mother function" before to describe parent functions. It also gets students attention and they like the phrase better than parent function. Sounds like your school year is going great.

Post a Comment