Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Excitement and Anticipation

Do you feel the tingling sensation in the air? No, it's not Christmas Eve. Nor it is the release of a new Harry Potter novel or movie. Rather it's the excitement and anticipation of a new school year!

Our students picked up their class schedules today. I could see in their eyes the hopefulness of what lies ahead. What team are they on? Which teachers did they get? Where's their locker? But most importantly, are they in the sames classes as their friends, and do they share the same lunch time? Even though "A" lunch eats early, at least there is always food for the very last person in line. Our cafeteria is known to run out of food by the end of "C" lunch. (Probably not; keep in mind that these accounts come from 13-year-olds who are known to exaggerate a little.)

A new school year. New teachers. New school supplies. A new wardrobe. Possibly a new attitude. A fresh start.

That's how I view my students at the beginning of every year. It's an opportunity for them to have a fresh start in math class. I do not know many of my students' educational experiences and history. I can pretty guess though that too many of them early on didn't do well and have since developed a self-defeatist mind-set. Oh, how I would love to be able to bottle that first-of-the-year euphoria that makes students feel that anything is possible, however short-loved it may be. The point is that is exists. I would use this potion liberally throughout the school year to help us stay "high" on life.

"Are you excited about school starting?"

"Yeah...I'm just afraid I won't like school once I'm here."

Sounds like a fear of failing.

My hopes and wishes are, by instilling a student-centered classroom, that my students will build confidence in themselves and their ability to work through rich, complicated problems. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment