Monday, December 20, 2010

Snow Days!

So this past week was really crazy at my school. All of South Eastern Michigan was covered in snow Monday morning resulting in a snow day for most schools in the area. Tuesday morning I woke up to icy roads (it was too cold for the salt to melt the snow and what did melt turned to ice!) and another snow day. Wednesday is my lab day. This gave me a day to reorganize and revamp my lesson plans. Thursday we had our winter performing arts assembly. This was a chance to see our band, choir, and dance groups perform. They did a great job and put on a great performance (especially since they missed two days of practice due to those snow days!). Friday we had building problems and school was canceled again. However, this time the staff still reported. My fellow Algebra teachers and I worked on updating our pacing guide. Our courses we are off track from where we wanted to be. Some topics took longer to get students to master and other topics went faster than we anticipated, but we are still behind schedule. We used this day to plan the rest of 1st semester (which ends the first week of February for us). Now instead of worrying about how far behind we are we can focus on the new pacing plan which we will continue to update throughout the year.

Happy Holidays to everyone! Enjoy your winter break and some much deserved time to relax!

4 comments:

Thuc-Khanh said...

My daughter has been asking everyday for the past month if it's going to snow for Christmas. How do you convince a six-year-old that the chances of it snowing in south Texas is slim to none? Especially considering that it is 80 degrees outside and feels like spring time!

Brandy King said...

Wow... what a difference!Sounds like I need to come visit you!

Thuc-Khanh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thuc-Khanh said...

In one of the intro to integer lessons I was looking at, (I forget if it's Carnegie's new middle school curriculum or from another resource) it said to relate the negative integers to the freezing, cold temperature during winter time. I had to laugh to myself! My Texas students wouldn't comprehend the analogy.

In Carnegie's Bridge to Algebra curriculum, it had students relating integers to elevators. I always assumed that my students could relate but I have never officially took a survey. We live in a middle-size city that doesn't have many tall buildings with elevators. Middle school kids are too embarrassed to admit that they had never been in an elevator. OK, I kind of gotten off track...

We're off to see the Wizard! Well, actually my family leave tomorrow morning to visit Ong Ba Ngoai (aka grandparents on the maternal side)for the holidays. Wish us luck! :-)

Hope everyone who is traveling have a safe trip.

Brandy, you are welcome to come visit anytime!

Post a Comment