Saturday, December 18, 2010

Finals are Over

Fall final exams are finally over! Hallelujah!!

At my school, science and pre-algebra finals are always given on the last day of finals week. On top of that, my 7th period, the last period of the day, is usually a pre-algebra class. As soon as the bell rang at 3:40 PM this past Thursday, a great sense of relief came over me. Teachers and students alike are exhausted and are ready for the long winter break, allowing us to relax and rejuvenate for the upcoming new semester.

My district still has school the following day. Friday is an early release day where students are dismissed after lunch time. At times during this four-hour period, it could feel like we teachers are frantically trying to control the mayhem. Before you feel sorry for me (or not), let me reassure you that it’s not all a bad thing.

Luckily my campus has a plan with scheduled events and activities. We spend this time having fine arts assemblies. I like this tradition because it gives me an opportunity outside my classroom to see my students shine in areas that they are good at – REALLY good at. I am always amazed and impressed at the array of talents these middle schoolers possess. Who would have ever guessed that the lifeless heap in the corner of my classroom had so much energy and passion? Why am I so surprised every year? Beats me! One of my goals this next semester is to find a way to tap into and showcase these teenagers’ incredible talents.

Well, my husband and I still have a little bit of more shopping to do for the kids. Then there’s a friend’s birthday party this afternoon. Although I have so much more to share with you, I will end it here.

May you and your family find peace and joy during this holiday season. Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment