Saturday, December 4, 2010

#1 Technical Support

When I made it a requirement this year for my algebra students to put in some Cognitive Tutor time outside of class, I wasn't sure what obstacles would surface. Beyond the grumbling of a few students that is!

Although I was a computer science major for two short semesters a couple of decades ago (prehistoric time in computer years), my knowledge of operating systems is extremely limited. So when one of my students for weeks kept telling me that he couldn't get access to the software online using many different computers at his father's workplace, I wasn't sure where to start troubleshooting. "Adam" was able to log in at school but why not else where? The cynic in me wondered if this was a ploy to get out of doing the work. That sounds awful for a teacher to express! Mind you, I was getting a lot of excuses from many students at the beginning of the year why they weren't able to clock in some CT time.

Adam's mom had him come to my tutorials to work on CT while his father and I emailed back and forth, trying to get this issue solved. During this time I learned that Adam was using computers with a Linux operating system. I contacted my district's technology department. I forwarded their suggestions to dad, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. No such luck! Arghhh!!!

What do I do now? I then had an epiphany to contact Carnegie Learning themselves! Duh! Why had I not thought of this before? CL knew exactly what needed to be done to resolve this issue. I am happy to report that within two days, CL helped dad install CT and Adam has been "happily" working on CT ever since!

What a great sense of relief to have taken care of this! I am forever grateful to CL's technical department. They are accessible, accommodating, prompt, and professional. What more can you ask for?

Carnegie Learning's Technical Support
Service Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM (EST)

E-Mail: help@carnegielearning.com

Phone (Toll Free): 877-401-2527

1 comment:

Brandy King said...

What a great idea! The tech department is great. They have helped me with things several times and are always patient and helpful!

Post a Comment