Monday, May 16, 2011

End of the Year Project

This spring is off to a slow start here in Michigan. However, Last week mother nature finally decided to let us have a brief taste of summer. The weather last week was in the 70's and 80's (too bad it rained all weekend and is now back in the 50's). While it was nice to be able to get out and enjoy the weather my students have now gotten antsy! While I'm sure most of you are having similar experiences, we still have class all the way through June 20th! It's way too early for my students to be checking out for summer.
Last year I ended the second semester with a project. This really seemed to help keep them focus. They worked on it with a partner and after getting instructions worked on their own with little interruption from me. This seemed to engage them and at the same time worked to review a lot of topics we covered over the year.

So what was the project you ask? Students had to create their own Carnegie "packet". Each group of 2 students was responsible for creating their own scenario and writing questions to go along with the scenario. Each packet had to have a table, graph, and required students to write an equation. They also had to include a "Just the Math" section where they had to explain a concept that we had learned over the year. I also required that students create both a blank version of their packet and an answer key.

Originally I wanted groups of students to swap packets so that they could complete each other's work. However, the project took a little longer that anticipated so they presented their packets to the class instead. Some of my students typed their packets while others were handwritten. Overall it was a great way to wrap up the year and it keep students focused.

So that will be the way I end my year. I just have to keep them busy between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment