Saturday, April 23, 2011

When am I ever going to use this math in real life?

I get this question from my students all the time. Do you? It's a valid question but I don't always have an answer. I am thrilled when I do discover a math application.

For the past several months as I take my daughter to her elementary school, I have witnessed the snail-like construction of a wide, winding sidewalk that leads to the nearby high school. Then there's the construction going on at my middle school. Anticipating an additional 200 students in the next two years, my school is expanding and building six new classrooms.




All this has made me think about the wonders of concrete. Yes, you heard me correctly. Concrete. Did you know concrete is merely a specific combination of gravel, sand, cement, and water? The parts come together to form a new whole. Do you know what this reminds me of? Why, ratio, of course!! The Romans used a form of concrete over 2000 years ago in their now infamous architecture structures. Concrete today is the foundation of any building or structure in our country. Needless to say, I find concrete fascinating.

So lately the wheels in my head are constantly in motion, trying to come up with a math activity involving ratios and concrete. This is as real-life as it gets. My husband is trying to persuade me not to carry through with my plans, reminding me that working with concrete can get pretty messy. I’m not discouraged. I hope to have something ready to go for this week. I’ll let you know if my plans pan out. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment