Saturday, April 30, 2011

Carnegie NMI Conference

I know I talked about this last summer, but I thought it was time to bring it up again. Carnegie is hosting the Carnegie Learning National Math Institute July 10 -13 in Grapevine, Texas. The conference will be held at the Gaylord Texan Resort and Conference Center. You can get more info by visiting the conference website http://nmi.carnegielearning.com/.

Now that you know the details, I wanted to tell you why I will be asking my district to send me again this year. This conference is awesome! I've been to many other conferences both in and out of state and this one was the best I've been to by far. So what makes it so great? First of all, the whole conference is geared toward teaching the Carnegie Curriculum with fidelity. Although I'm sure you'd still leave with some great ideas if you don't use the Carnegie Curriculum, that was my favorite part. Each session talked about making connections between the classroom and the tutor, teaching the curriculum with fidelity, ways to group students.... and so much more.

Do you remember how you felt after you left your initial implementation training? I know I do. I was so excited about this new (to me) style of teaching that I couldn't wait to jump into! Of course I was also nervous about teaching a new way, but my excitement was overwhelming. That is exactly how I felt after leaving the Carnegie NMI Conference last summer. I couldn't wait to get home and write down all the new ideas I wanted to try.

Another great thing about this conference is how well you get to know all of the Carnegie Learning Staff. They really go out of there way to make you feel welcome.

I almost didn't put in for this conference this year because I know how my own school is struggling financially. I really wanted to go but didn't think the school had the funds to send me. However, my superintendent came to me asking if I wanted to go again this year. I'm putting my conference request in first thing on Monday. If my cash strapped district can find the funds I'm sure yours can too! Hopefully I'll be seeing you there!

1 comment:

Thuc-Khanh said...

I can totally relate to everything in this post! I'll look for you in Grapevine in July. Be prepared for a blistering hot summer experience :)

Post a Comment