Sunday, September 5, 2010

Out of Order

I woke up early Thursday morning at 3 o’clock with my left eye watering profusely. I knew that I hadn’t fallen asleep with my contacts in. Nonetheless, something the size of a sand grain was irritating it. I spent the next 30 minutes trying to flush the foreign object out of my eye but to no avail. By then I was fully awake for the rest of the day with a very, scary-looking red eye.

I spent all day at work reassuring the students that I wasn’t upset and crying. They’re pretty caring kids when they want to be. Even my teenage age son must have felt sorry for me because he volunteered to do all my typing for me.

Anyways, my algebra students spent Wednesday and Thursday trying to get started on Cognitive Tutor for the first time. Technical difficulty prevented them from being able to login. Remember to have alternative plans, esp. when it comes to computers and technology.

By dinnertime that evening my eye had swollen itself shut. As much as I hated to admit it, I had to start preparing for a sub and take Friday off to go see an ophthalmologist before the long Labor Day weekend started. Otherwise I would end up spending my whole weekend either at Urgent Care or the Emergency Room.

I had designated this past Friday as the day that I would try to get my pre-algebra students started on Cognitive Tutor. There is no way that I should expect a substitute teacher to take on this task, particularly considering the trouble I was experiencing the previous two days with the laptops. Again I had to fall back on my alternative plans.

Luckily the doctor’s office took me as an emergency walk-in Friday morning. Who knew that eyes could get an ulcer? Mine has one 0.4 mm long as well as several abrasions on the cornea. A prescription of antibiotic eye drops should do the trick and make everything better. Dr. Perkins forewarned me that the healing was going to be a slow process and not to expect an instantaneous miracle. Within the hour, though, my eye was 75% better and I began to tackle my 100-items to-do list. Boy, have I been paying for it ever since!

The health of my left eye reverted to its painful, swollen condition. I have spent the last 48 hours sleeping. It’s my body’s way of making me stop so that my eye could heal properly. Much to my husband’s chagrin, I plan to return to work tomorrow. Yes, we have school on Labor Day. Preparing for a sub is way too much work. Plus I am so far behind!

1 comment:

Brandy King said...

Oh no! I hope you heal quickly. I totally agree with you about having alternative plans for computer lab days. Feel better soon!

Post a Comment