Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Apple

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, and last night I was able to meet all the “trees” of my classes. Last night was AMCMS Open House. Meeting parents is always a nerve-racking experience for me; I’ve become comfortable standing in front of a room full of 14-year-olds, but when it comes to speaking to 44 year-olds, I’m a nervous wreck. When I’m nervous, I become tongue-tied and unintelligible. I also tend to speak too rapidly, as well as not smiling.

Despite my nerves, Open House has given me the opportunity to introduce Carnegie Learning and Cognitive Tutor to the parents. Ever since I have implemented these methods, they have been receptive to and supportive of the innovative curriculum that I apply to my classroom. As a parent myself, I believe that they appreciate my honesty in providing the best math experiences possible for their child.

I had to chuckle to myself as the parents walked out my classroom door. I thought, “Wow! That’s Suzy or Bob 25 – 35 years from now!” The resemblance in my students to their parents is uncanny – not only in the physical sense, but especially in their mannerisms and senses of humor; the apple really doesn’t fall far from the tree.

1 comment:

Brandy King said...

I know exactly what you mean about getting nervous speaking in front of other adults! When I taught my first Carnegie Training this summer I was a nervous wreck. I was teaching other teachers that I've worked with in the past, but I still couldn't shake my nerves. Its funny how we speak everyday in front of students but as soon as adults are in the room we suddenly freak out!

Post a Comment