Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Differentiating via the Cognitive Tutor

Last week I left the building to get Subway for lunch. During this time I had a chance meeting with a parent who sends their student to a local elementary school. He noticed my name badge and started asking me about the school where I teach. One of the questions he asked me was how I deal with some students understanding a topic while others still need more practice. I think this is something that every teacher struggles with (how do we differentiate our instruction). I think this is a great question for a parent to ask! Of course everyone wants to know how you can teach their child on their level!

Luckily for me I use the Cognitive Tutor! I told this concerned parent (who's child could be coming to me for Algebra 1 next year) about the Carnegie program. I explained how the Cognitive Tutor helps me to get students to master skills before moving on new ones. It gives my students that need it extra time with a topic while allowing other students to move forward at their own pace (I'm not holding them back waiting for others to catch up). I also told him about how in my class students work in groups. They help each other so that everyone is successful.

The parent was really excited about the idea of his child receiving individualized attention. His daughter (who happened to be with him) told me that she likes math and couldn't wait to be able to work on the computer! Although the Cognitive Tutor is not the only way I differentiate my instruction it is definitely the way I do it most often. Yet another reason to love the Cognitive Tutor software :)

2 comments:

Thuc-Khanh said...

Wow – do you realize the powerful impact that one conversation is going to have? When he talks to other parents, singing the praises of Cognitive Tutor, these other parents will also speak highly of CT. The ripple effect is endless.

Brandy King said...

He told me he was considering sending his child to another high school nearby but had changed his mind after talking to me. Hopefully he will spread the word! :)

Post a Comment