Monday, March 14, 2011

Creating a Custom Curriculum for CT

When you first create classes in Cognitive Tutor and input your students’ names, you can assign them one of Carnegie Learning’s curriculums. In my case, I have access to Bridge to Algebra and Algebra I. Bridge to Algebra has 53 units with 1-7 sections per unit while Algebra I has 47 units with 1-7 sections per unit. The goal is to complete all the units in one curriculum within a school year’s time. With its artificial intelligence-like capabilities, CT keeps track of one’s mastery of specific concepts. Basically, the less errors that you make, the quicker you proceed through the curriculum.

One of the best features of Cognitive Tutor is that you are allowed to create custom curriculums. Let’s say that you district’s scope and sequence differs from that of Carnegie Learning. No problem! I create a custom curriculum per six weeks to mirror what my students are learning in class. Keep in mind you can only chunk together units. You cannot separate the sections under each unit.

If my students finish a Six Weeks curriculum before the six weeks is over, of course, I am going to want them to continue to work on Cognitive Tutor and not do anything for 2-3 weeks. So I will advance them to the next six weeks or assign them to CL’s curriculum.

At the beginning of the following school year, CL will ask you if you want to keep your custom curriculums or get rid of them and start over. Totally up to you. It’s nice to have some input. Creating a custom curriculum is not difficult at all. Give it a try.

I’m enjoying a week “off,” taking it easy and spending time with my family. Happy Spring Break to everyone in this part of Texas!

3 comments:

Brandy King said...

Happy Spring Break! I don't have spring break until the end of April, but we had a midwinter break in february. :)

Thuc-Khanh said...

End of April? When does your school year end? My students are taking finals the last week of May. Then summer school starts a couple of days later.

Brandy King said...

Our last day of school is June 21 for students and June 22 for teachers. We do not start school until after labor day.Our Spring break is usually the week after Easter. This year Easter is very late so we are off the week before Easter.

Post a Comment