Saturday, October 2, 2010

Seeing Stars

How do you motivate your students to keep progressing through the Carnegie Cognitive Tutor? My class is structured so that we go into the lab for one ninety minute periods and one 45 minute period a week. Ninety minutes can be a long time especially if students are not motivated to work.

One thing I do is keep a poster that tracks students’ progress in the lab. The poster lists each student in my class by student number (to keep confidentiality) along the side and lists the unit numbers across the top. Each time a student finishes a unit (and sees stars on their screen) they can go up to the poster and put a star sticker by their number. This helps students to visually see where they are in relation to their classmates and helps motivate them to keep going. It also encourages students to work on the tutor at home to catch up to their peers. At the beginning of each lab I ask students who have completed a unit at home to come up and get their stars. This little piece of recognition is exciting for them.

Now I know what you're thinking.... this would never work with my students. But I think it will. I teach 9th grade and my students love the stars. When I run out or forget to bring them to the lab they get really upset. I won't lie and say that this works for all students. Some of them could honestly care less about the stars and I end up putting their stickers up for them. But this simple poster (which can be purchased at any teacher supply store) and some dollar store stickers has helped me to motivate a lot of my students.

1 comment:

Thuc-Khanh said...

You are absolutely right, Brandy! Most students want recognition for a job well-done and external reward helps keep them motivated. I used your chart system for summer school this past June. I had 40 high schoolers of all ages taking Algebra I for the second or third time. With only 4 weeks to complete a semester (or two for a few students), the chart kept the students on pace. It showed how much they've accomplished and how far they still needed to go. Apparently using progress charts at the high school is a revolutionary practice. Don't you think some of the reward systems teachers use at the elementary level would work wonders in the middle and high schools?

Post a Comment